Your skin tone is based on the amount and type of melanin in your body. The Fitzpatrick scale has introduced six different types of skin tones by taking melanin into consideration. Delve deeper into this post to discover more about the types of skin tones and caring for them.
Different types of skin tone
The different types of skin tones are as follows:
Light skin tone
Light skin tone is non-pigmented and is almost white in colour. This type of skin tone might not tan easily. But it can experience damage and sunburn even after a short time under the sun.
Fair skin tone
Fair skin tone is a little darker than light skin tone. Usually, fair skin tone is vulnerable to burns, tanning, and peeling. If people with fair skin tones spend too much time under the sun, they might get freckles.
Medium skin tone
People with medium skin tones have a complexion ranging between fair to beige. Usually, a medium skin tone comes with an almost golden undertone. Medium skin tone is associated with freckles instead of tanning. Long exposure to sunlight can cause people with medium skin tones to get burns.
Olive skin tone
Olive skin tone is associated with a light brown colour. People with an olive skin tone rarely experience a burn. But it gets tanned extremely easily.
Brown skin tone
Brown or caramel skin tone contains a high amount of melanin. Usually, people with brown skin tones don’t get freckles. But they can get tanned quite easily due to exposure to sunlight.
Dark skin tone
Dark skin tone is associated with a deep brown or black complexion. While dark or black skin tone never burns, it can get tanned easily.
Skincare according to your skin tone
Irrespective of your skin tone, a skincare regimen is essential for every individual. The key products to incorporate into your skincare routine are as follows:
- Cleanser: The first step is to get rid of all impurities from your skin tone. The Clearing & Calming Acne Face Wash is useful for deep cleansing to get a fresh look. Additionally, it can help deal with the issue of acne.
- Toner: Next, people of all skin tones should use an effective toner. It can nourish your skin while minimising open pores.
- Exfoliator: Irrespective of your skin type and tone, gentle exfoliation twice a week can help. The Overnight Exfoliating AHA BHA Radiance Mask can even out your skin tone and increase your radiance.
- Serum: The Super Clarifying 12% Niacinamide Face Serum for All Skin Types is ideal for improving uneven skin tone. Depending on your skin tone, you can also use a serum with the goodness of antioxidants. It will improve collagen production, reduce pigmentation, and boost dull skin.
- Moisturiser: Hydration is extremely essential for all skin tones and types. The Acne Care & Healing Gel Moisturiser with Tea Tree & Cica will provide your skin with all the nourishment it needs. This lightweight moisturiser is ideal for all types of skin and won’t cause too much greasiness. It will help strengthen your skin without blocking your pores.
- Sunscreen: It is a common misconception that only people who easily get tanned need to apply sunscreen. But sunscreen is essential for everyone even though the visible signs of sun damage don’t show up on your face. The Mineral Matte Tinted Sunscreen is perfect with a natural-looking coverage and can even act as a primer before you put your makeup on.
Also Read: Uneven Skin Tone on Face? Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Remember that taking care of your skin is essential, irrespective of its colour. But you should only choose skincare products that can help fulfil the specific needs of your skin. Invest in appropriate skincare products to get closer to achieving flawless skin with a gorgeous glow.
- Do people experience changes in their skin tone?
People can notice changes in their skin tone due to tanning. Tan lines are a product of UV rays causing an alteration in the levels of melanin in the skin. Exfoliation can help get rid of tan lines with time. Meanwhile, wearing sunscreen is essential for preventing tan lines in the first place.
- How can I identify my skin tone?
You can use skin complexion cards to understand your specific skin tone. Another way of understanding your skin tone is by checking how your skin reacts to sun exposure.
- Why do I have dark spots on my face?
Dark spots on the face are a result of melanin overproduction. Ageing and hormonal changes are often responsible for causing hyperpigmentation or dark spots. Using a dark spot serum will help with removing dark spots.
- Is a tinted sunscreen good for all complexions?
Investing in a tinted sunscreen will ensure that it gives a natural finish. It will have a non-greasy and weightless feel on your face without leaving a white cast. A tinted sunscreen will also look perfect under your makeup.
- Should I have a toner in my daily skincare routine?
A hydrating toner in your daily skincare routine will replenish your skin without removing its natural moisture. It will make your skin suitable for absorbing moisturiser after cleaning.