Have you recently started noticing white discolouration on your skin? Usually, they are not a cause of concern and don’t come with major symptoms. But these portions of white discolouration usually make your skin look uneven. Scroll through this article to learn in detail about white discolouration, its causes, treatment, and more.
What is white discolouration on the skin?
White spots on your skin are often an outcome of dead cells or proteins getting trapped under the uppermost layer of the skin. At times, white skin pigmentation on the face can also be a result of skin depigmentation.
Why does it occur?
White discolouration on the face can occur due to a large number of reasons. From genetics to sun exposure, the reasons behind white discolour on the skin can be multiple.
Common causes of white discolouration on the skin
Some of the common causes of skin discolouration on the face are as follows:
- Sunspots: These are white spots that appear on areas of the skin due to a loss of the pigment melanin. The size of these spots usually doesn’t go beyond 3 mm. Moreover, they usually start from the legs and gradually spread to the arms, upper back, and face. In some cases, sunspots are genetic and can start showing up after the age of 40 years. However, sunspots are not detrimental to your health, and people go for treatment only for aesthetic reasons.
- Vitiligo: People with vitiligo have white patches in different parts of the body. These white patches occur due to the destruction of the cells responsible for producing melanin. Vitiligo might be an autoimmune disorder where the immune system kills healthy cells by mistake. Vitiligo white patches usually start in places exposed to the sun. In most cases, vitiligo is hereditary and usually begins around the 20s.
- Eczema: This condition causes irritation in one specific part of the skin. It results in a patch of skin with a lighter pigment than the skin surrounding it.
- Superficial yeast infection: Another reason behind white discolouration on the skin is superficial yeast infection. This infectious disease only affects the upper layer of the skin. Medically called tinea versicolor, this dermatological condition can make the skin look darker or lighter than usual.
Symptoms associated with white discolouration on the skin
The symptoms associated with white discolouration on the face will vary depending on the reason. Usually, they don’t come with symptoms. In most cases, white spot discolouration is a symptom in itself. But at times, these spots are accompanied by symptoms like itching and irritation.
Treatment options for white discolouration on the skin
Treatment options for white discolouration on the skin will vary depending on its cause. Check out the treatment options for different reasons behind white discolouration:
- Superficial yeast infection: If this is the reason behind white discolouration on the face, you will benefit from using antifungal creams and shampoos.
- Eczema: In this case, you will have to use a good moisturiser for your skin. The Waterlight Gel Moisturiser 72 Hours Hydration will help by catering to the hydration requirements of your skin. You will also have to use a good sunscreen like the Mineral Matte Tinted Sunscreen for sun protection. Additionally, doctors prescribe several medicated creams for eczema.
- Sunspots: If you want to avoid the issue of sunspots, wearing the Mineral Matte Tinted Sunscreen whenever you step outside will help. Usually, you will benefit from avoiding prolonged sun exposure. Additionally, it is recommended to avoid tanning beds if you have sunspots on your face.
- Vitiligo: The treatment for vitiligo depends on its severity. In case of minor white patches, avoiding tanning can help. Dermatologists also prescribe corticosteroids and other medications for vitiligo.
Dealing with uneven skin tone
White discolouration on the face makes your overall skin tone look uneven. If you want to even out your skin tone and brighten your complexion, the Dark Spot & Hyperpigmentation Correcting Power Serum will help. We have formulated this serum with 8 active ingredients to fade dark spots and soothe your skin. You can follow a proper skincare regimen to get the best results with this serum.
In most cases, white skin discolouration on face is not a cause of concern. But you can always get these spots checked by a dermatologist to stay on the safe side.
- How can I get an even skin tone?
Following a proper skin tone is essential for making your skin tone even. You must focus on regular cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturising to make your skin look even. Additionally, wearing sunscreen regularly is essential for preventing hyperpigmentation due to sun exposure. Moreover, a dark spot serum can help with fading dark marks from your face and enhancing your overall complexion.
- Are white patches on the skin serious?
White patches on your skin can appear due to a variety of reasons. In most cases, these white patches are harmless and don’t have any detrimental effects on your health. Usually, people get rid of white spots due to cosmetic reasons. But it’s always better to get the white spots checked by a dermatologist.
- Can moisturiser make my skin look smooth?
A lack of hydration can often make your skin seem rough and dull. If you add a moisturiser to your skincare routine, you will be able to bring back the glow of your face. Moreover, adequate hydration will make your skin soft, smooth, and supple.