Dehydration can be a huge nuisance for your skin. Several people consider dry and dehydrated skin to be the same. While dehydrated skin can be dry, dull, and itchy, it is not the same thing as having dry skin. But what is dehydrated skin? Jump into this article to learn in detail about dehydrated skin, its symptoms, causes, and treatment.
What is dehydrated skin?
A lack of moisture contributes to dehydrated skin. Dehydration can make your whole skin tone and complexion uneven. Additionally, you will start noticing more fine lines on your skin due to dehydration.
Unlike dehydrated skin, dry skin occurs due to a lack of natural oils. Moreover, dry skin is a type, while dehydrated skin is a condition. The sebaceous glands in people with dry skin don’t secrete enough sebum or natural oils.
Hydrated skin vs. dehydrated skin
If you compare hydrated skin vs. dehydrated skin, you will notice clear differences. Your skin will look soft, supple, and bouncy with sufficient levels of hydration. Moreover, hydrated skin will also prevent premature signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
How to tell if your skin is dehydrated
Have you ever wondered how to tell if your skin is dehydrated? You can do a simple test at home to understand whether your skin is dehydrated.
The skin pinch test for dehydration requires you to lightly squeeze a small area around your cheek. In case you notice wrinkling, and your skin fails to bounce back after you stop squeezing, it is a sign of dehydration.
Causes of dehydrated skin
The primary cause of dehydrated skin is the body losing or using more water than it can take in. Some factors that lead to dehydrated skin are as follows:
- Not consuming enough fluids
- A fever
- A sunburn
- Losing fluids due to vomiting or diarrhoea
- Sweating too much
- Health conditions like cystic fibrosis, kidney dysfunction, or diabetes can cause people to urinate or swear more
- Medications like antacids, laxatives, blood pressure drugs, antihistamines, and diuretics
Signs and symptoms of dehydrated skin
One of the major signs of dehydrated skin is dryness. Along with dryness, you will also notice dullness and itchiness on the skin. Additionally, fine lines, dark circles, and wrinkles start appearing on the face due to dehydration.
Some other dehydrated skin symptoms are as follows:
- Dry eyes, mouth, and lips
- Acne breakouts
- Redness, rashes, and cracked skin
- Inflammation and discomfort
- Accumulation of sweat, dead skin cells, sebum, and pollutants
- Increased skin sensitivity
Dehydrated skin treatment
Thankfully, dehydrated skin treatment is easy, and you can cure the condition by remembering the following:
- Consume enough water: You should drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day. You will usually benefit from starting your day with around three to four glasses of water.
- Keep your showers short: Bathing is essential to keep your skin healthy. However, avoiding a long shower is necessary to prevent your skin from losing moisture. Avoif hot water showers.
- Follow a proper skincare routine: Using the right product for dehydrated skin is essential for maintaining the moisture balance. Add a good face wash and moisturiser to your skincare regimen to maintain the moisture content of your skin.
Best face wash and moisturiser for dehydrated skin
Your skincare routine should begin with cleansing your face. The Clearing & Calming Acne Face Wash from The Pink Foundry is the best face wash for dehydrated skin. It will cleanse your skin deeply, prevent acne, and give a fresh look to your face.
You will also need to find the best moisturiser for dehydrated skin. The Waterlight Gel Moisturiser 72hr Hydration Acne Care & Healing Gel Moisturiser with Tea Tree & Cica will offer the right amount of hydration to your skin. It will keep the skin barrier healthy by locking in moisture and also make your sift supple.regulate sebum production.
Dehydrated skin might be complex, but it is manageable. Choose the right skincare products and increase your fluid intake to offer proper hydration to your skin.
- What is the most important skincare product for dehydrated skin?
A moisturiser is the most important skincare product for people with dehydrated skin. You need to invest in a good moisturiser and add it to your daily skincare regimen to heal your dehydrated skin. It will nourish and replenish your skin and prevent dryness, itching, and irritation.
- How does dehydrated skin look?
Dehydrated skin looks dry, dull, and irritated. You will also notice more fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots on dehydrated skin. Apart from that, acne breakouts, redness, and inflammation can also occur on dehydrated skin.
- How is dry skin different from dehydrated skin?
Dry skin occurs as a result of the absence of natural oils. But dehydration means your skin does not have enough moisture content. Dry skin can occur due to several skin conditions or due to frequent washing. However, dehydrated skin is a product of insufficient water content in the body.
- What is the main cause of dehydrated skin?
The main cause of dehydrated skin is not consuming a sufficient amount of water. Some other reasons behind dehydrated skin can be the weather, air conditioning, rough skincare products, and prolonged hot showers.