If you wake up with a large pimple on your otherwise clear face, you might think you have severe acne. But severe acne is more serious than one or two zits appearing on your face out of nowhere. Delve deeper to understand severe acne, its causes, and treatment options.
What is severe acne?
Those who struggle with severe acne often experience frequent breakouts that can affect their face, chest, and back. The condition may also manifest along the jawline and neck and sometimes even on the buttocks. Severe acne meaning can be described as deep-seated breakouts, known as cysts and nodules, which can cause significant pain.
Moreover, once the severe acne has cleared, it often leaves behind unsightly scarring. Additionally, when acne is severe, it is not uncommon to observe numerous blackheads and whiteheads on the affected areas. Anyone who has dealt with severe acne on the face understands the tenacity of this stubborn skin condition.
What causes severe acne on the face?
Before you figure out how to cure severe acne, dive into some of the causes behind them:
- Genetics: The likelihood of having severe acne is a lot higher if your parents or siblings have it.
- Hormones: Hormonal imbalances during puberty can trigger overproduction of sebum. This excess sebum combines with bacteria and dead cells to clog hair follicles. As a result, you might experience large and painful cysts on your skin.
- Diet: Dairy and high-glycemic foods, in particular, can be linked to severe acne breakouts on the skin. Therefore, severe acne treatment often involves making dietary changes and opting for anti-inflammatory food items.
- Cosmetics: Certain cosmetic and skin care products come with ingredients that trigger severe breakouts by clogging pores.
- Medications: Severe acne can be a side effect of certain medications like steroids and lithium.
Severe acne treatment: Our top tips
If you are wondering how to treat severe acne, you can focus on the following:
- Cleanse gently: You need to get rid of the impurities on your face so that they don’t combine with dead cells and excess oil to clog your pores. But you need to choose a gentle cleanser so that it does not irritate your skin and worsen your severe acne. The Clearing & Calming Acne Face Wash is an ideal solution for clearing out severe acne on your face while leaving behind a soothing effect.
- Use spot treatment: If you want to know how to get rid of severe acne fast, the Overnight Acne Spot Corrector can help. You need to apply the solution directly to your active acne and let it stay overnight. When you wake up in the morning and wash your face, you will notice your acne has shrunk considerably.
- Moisturise sufficiently: The best medicine for severe acne is sufficient moisturisation. You need to use a light moisturiser that will replenish your skin from the core without blocking the pores. The Acne Care & Healing Gel Moisturiser with Tea Tree & Cica will hydrate your skin from its core and help treat existing and future breakouts.
- Wear sunscreen: If you want to know how to reduce severe acne, you will have to limit exposure to the sun. Applying sunscreen helps create a layer of protection that shields your skin from UV radiation. The Mineral Matte Tinted Sunscreen is a lightweight formulation that does not leave behind a greasy and whitish tint on your skin after application. Moreover, it serves the purpose of a primer and makes it easy for you to apply makeup.
If you are living with severe acne, it can take a toll on your self-esteem and mental health. But with a proper skincare regimen and expert advice from professional dermatologists, you will be able to clear out severe acne in no time. It will also help prevent new scars associated with severe acne. So, embrace the right skincare items and professional dermatological advice to say goodbye to severe acne and notice a boost in your self-esteem.
1. Is it okay to squeeze my pimples/acne?
If you have severe acne, you might be tempted to pop or squeeze your pimples. But picking or squeezing your pimples is never a solution for tackling severe acne. Popping or squeezing severe acne can be extremely painful. It can lead to infection and even push the pimples deeper into your skin. As a result, you might end up getting permanent scars from severe acne.
2. Can I get rid of severe acne overnight?
The Overnight Acne Spot Corrector is a fast remedy for your severe acne. If you apply it to your skin directly, it will shrink the pimples considerably. As a result, you will wake up with clear skin in the morning.
3. Can the sun worsen severe acne?
Staying out in the sun can dry your skin and irritate you. A lot of people with severe acne notice their condition worsening after sun exposure. An ideal way to safeguard your skin from sun damage and prevent severe acne is to use sunscreen. A lightweight formulation like the Mineral Matte Tinted Sunscreen will offer sun protection without making your skin feel greasy.
4. Do I need to use moisturiser if I have severe acne?
You should be using a moisturiser even when you have severe acne. But use a lightweight moisturiser to provide nourishment to your skin without clogging pores. The Acne Care & Healing Gel Moisturiser with Tea Tree & Cica can hydrate your skin while clearing out pimples.